Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Denmark - Odense and surrounds.

Biking and the 'castles' garden
Middelfart. after we left the poor brewery aka carlsberg, we headed off to the town of middelfart. Andrew was pretty tired, so after a power nap, (with me reading my book) I drove the rest of the way. We arrived through some again friendly rain and traffic to make it to our next hosts place - not a hostel thank goodness. Jesper and his wife were lovely. He met us outside and made us feel right at home straight away. They recommended that we go to the waterfront cafe called the Rass. Amazing - we had to wait 45 minutes, but the burgers are great, - well I think that they were better than great, but it did rain a little bit while we were there. We left to get home and chatted to Jesper for awhile, was a little bit reserved for a couch surfing couple, but they gave us our space and we got along fine. The next day was possible of sailing day - but rain and rain and rain. Great weather for summer in Europe! Well at least northern Europe anyway. I whacked on my coat and got wet going for a bike ride around the coast - the islands that I wanted to see to start with. Glad I did, it was a nice ride - probably contributed to me getting sick, but oh well I will have plenty of time to get well when I get back in Australia.
One of the paths next to lake in middelfart
So I saw some more wild deer, and walked along some muddy paths with the bike, good fun. Arrived back to find guess who in the same place a I left him, and then went to bed.

The next day was sailing day, fun fun, although i was surprised that jesper being a person that lives near the coast was not more experienced in sailing, me and tarks could have sailed better I think. He was a little scared when we got going - but it was cool to be out on the water, we had to be back by 12 to go to the football in odense. Football in odense. Well firstly a major gripe! We arrived and I got my bag checked, fiar enough, but then to find out that there was NO FOOD allowed! none, not my banana, not my bread, nothing, GRRRR I was so annoyed, they are monopolising the ground - fair enough that they can, but made me so angry, until I realised I wasn't really hungry and I would just eat it at the car, so I walked out - despite the womens repeated attempts to throw it in the bin... Why would I want it thrown out if I wanted to eat it? Grrr... She also tried to throw out my water bottle. But I wasn't really fussed, we just thought it was very strange. YOu would be lynched in Australia for making that rule at the footy I am sure.The football(soccer) was very very low I thought, when you watch a game you expect not to be able to do many of the things that they were doing. But the home team lost 4-2 (with a garbage time goal at the end). It was not very full, and the chants were not very loud - probably cause they were losing - but it was entertaining. We came home and I went straight to bed - extremely tired - slept from 7 till about 3am - then up for a snack, and then till 6 again. Which for the hours we had been sleeping, was huge.

Sailing in Denmark

I didn't want to use this as it is blurry, but it's my best shot of the island.  

The next day was our road trip to the island called Langeland, to the cold war museum. It was really good, we saw huge anti air guns, submarines, mine sweepers (if anyone knows how these work tell me), and a bunker about the cold war which was unfortunately in danish and German. I actually learned what the cold war was about. I also learned about why the danish military took the time to build such a huge defense base.

We then went for a drive around the island, I really really enjoyed this part, the island is so cute almost, they have soft rolling hills with small cottages and small lakes with green everywhere. Nice nice. There wasn't anything to do, just drove around looking at things. We got back latish after a supermarket dinner and then went to bed.
This anti aircraft gun actually still moves! 



No comments:

Post a Comment