Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Decisions and a case of history repeating itself.

It is funny about when you are not in a routine of work, sleep, eat and play sport that things can come and go out of left field to hit you and throw things all out of whack. (Or have the potential to do that). But lets start at the start.
Back to the game. We made the paper!
Good good.

I think that we played ok, I scored the best goal I think I have scored in a game for awhile, but it was just clean I think, not great. For those hockey players among the readers. It was a fast break turnover and I back-stick deflected a goal into the left corner net from a hit in from the right hand side of the field. It was nice - quick, but it was no beat two and hammer in the corner.Tarks hit two goals, what we call - right spot at the right time goals, a tap in, and a rebound over the keeper which had slid. But it was HOT... hockey was not a sport designed to be played in 28 degree temperatures. We had drinks breaks to make it into a quarter game. We were up 3-0 and my and funky came off, - not saying that the turnaround had anything to do with it... but they hit two goals very quickly. I now know what 'hockey nouse' is. When you are up 3-0, sooner or later the other team will have a hard stab to try and get one goal. Our guys just relaxed, big gaps in midfield, and with our midfielders always not playing cover (like we do in australia) there is no one to cover defend. Many times I have been in our defensive circle playing the come in and save the ball last man. - Just like I do in aus. the dutch do not do this. Consequently when the fullback gets beaten in a man on man game plan, then they get a goal. Or two in this case. I got moved to a defensive CH, and we held on for dear life, as they can at us with everything. We got a goal to make it 4-2 against the run of play, and that was it.

After hockey I went to Bono's house - a nice young boy with the best english of the team to watch football with about 4-5 other ppl.  We then left and had some nice fried food at "de flip" which must be referring to what you do when you eat there for 20 years... Nothing but fried food, it was amazing...
back to de bok to meet the rest of the guys, which was interesting cause they were there, and we were clearly the minority, but it was good to be away for a little time. So the evening was finishing, and we were chatting abotu travel and meeting up in far away norway etc, and funky was leaving - with the only key to our house. Which i asked, hey - you have the only key, he said - no worries I'm going home. I arrived 30 minutes later to find out that he certainly was not home.. GRRRR. So I waited 15 minutes, and then broke in. He arrived about 40 minutes later asking how I got in...... Twice in 3 days...

Anyway monday was a lazy working day. Tuesday was the day of my interview with the school. Not an interview as such, as they did not know what I did, or what I was available for but I needed to start making a bit more money. So the school was very nice, and the kids were so well behaved. I asked about student management (they stream all the students) and he looked at me like I was crazy. interesting... And then with the school tour, showed me all the teachers and the classrooms - note all have projectors and screens... and lockers are so nice. They don't have metal 1980 lockers, or graffiti on the walls, or loud yelling... I wonder if they even have an exit system to kick kids out of class. Lets take some of these dutch teachers to traf and see how they go.
So the outcome was as follows. As I am not staying here for an extended amount of time. Say 1-2 years. they can't offer me alot of work. Which leads me to the decision of - could I stay here and teach for 2- maybe 3 years..... What would I have to give up? would too many things change. I decided that I don't have enough information to make any sort of decision yet, - but I can stay on as a volunteer and get paid about 5 euro a hour. I guess that will do, a) it will allow me to teach in a school and see if sometime I did want to return and do the whole teaching thing. and b) it will give me some food money at least. 5 euro a hour is better then 0 euro per hour.
So we are leaving boxmeer in June. I will tell our landlord this week that we can't keep working on our hosue cause we are upto our 20 days, which leaves us with 4 months of paid house rent. So we are doing some demolition work tomorrow till friday, which means that we get 12.50 a hour for smashing stuff. Sounds like a good job to me - can smash things. - the guys will testify to that. just look at our hockey changerooms. 

Now I am going to go back and help the guys with some painting, and I will update later on how our bashing has gone.
Nanti.

No comments:

Post a Comment