Thursday, May 5, 2011

Amsterdam and a week of planning

So the resistance museum... From seeing it a week ago, my post reaction is a mixed one. Firstly the Museum of dutch resistance was cool. It showed how a few guys funded (through fraud and creative accountancy) the living of underground people. They gave money to people that were hiding during the war (Millions and millions) and forged it to look like real business. Without them, they would of not survived. They went on to describe the train strikes, spys and what not. The other mixed part about the museum was that it described what the japanese did to the dutch east indies - or indonesia. There was also detail and personal stories about how they had been persecuted. But there was no mention of how that they were there in the first place, and the dutch went back in and had a bloody war trying to get indonesia back - the very thing that they had done to them - they were doing 2 YEARS AFTER it. What hypocrites.... Made me feel quite weird thinking that people were so stupid...

anyway... we left the museum feeling really really tired. Maybe it was that sleep had caught up on us, but we went back to Roberts house and andrew fell asleep watching the wedding hahaha. What wedding?? That's about as far as I cared.  We then went to meet koen (guy who plays for us) at his house and talked for a while, had a BBQ on his roof (well what you could call a BBQ)
The "BBQ" and note Tark's new Dreadlocks....


This was the view on sunset - with a strange man on a ladder...






So we then went into town... We were not prepared for the amount of people that we met... My goodness. We didn't meet them, but they were everywhere.... Just crazy.
 The picture above doesn't do justice, but wow,... there was people everywhere...
 We got a little lost getting home, Mark got sent into get Hungry Jacks (or burger king) with the mission to buy 2 meals... spent over 20 euro and had 2 massive bags of food. we thought is was very very funny. He didn't know what happened, but he still paid her. Haha. So we ate food on our walk home, and got to bed very late. I woke up the next morning about 8.00 and it was queens day - we could already hear the music outside. There was stalls everywhere, people selling things, and massive music platforms - see below.


I manged to make it onto Mark's shoulders for this and other photo shots.

See - I told you.




So we stayed in Amsterdam till about 6-7.00 - before that I had a conversation with some random guy from Czechoslovakia, and ordered some indo food - attempted in indo, the girl had no idea... very very amusing. Anyway, we found the station to get home via the metro - much  much easier to get around then in Paris - albeit because it is so small. And back home we were heading - me reading my series "Tomorrow when the war began on my computer" Instead of watching tv, I have been reading this series of book, I am up to book 5 in about a week. So home we went, I got us off at the wrong station... so a 10 minute mistake and we waited at Arnhem for a bit. Then back on the train and off at Nijmegen. It was heavily crowded, Japan Style. but it was ok. We got to bed, and sleep came quite quickly... well after a little bit more reading. I thought that it would be a good idea to read before I went to sleep, as watching movies was keeping me up till past midnight, reading isn't helping, because I am so engaged in the book, I am fighting sleep to keep readining. amusing...

So this week we have been working most days, we had a little bit of work taking soil samples yesterday for 10 euro an hour for 3 hours - better then nothing. The biggest issue of this week has been trying to figure out if we are going to play hockey next half season. I wanted to - but I think that if we are leaving in novemberish, then I won't have enough time to see things, germany, england,.... hmmm. The other guys don't seem to make decisions, and we don't want to spend our whole holiday in boxmeer - I know that the right decision is to say goodbye - but we have just got comfortable here... a job might hold me here for a bit longer.. But I doubt it.

We beat the 2nd top team with our hockey they day after we got home from Amsterdam, so the guys were happy, and we played well (came from 2-0 down). and I ticked off another yellow card to my name. I can't seem to catch a break, this one was for two of us getting our sticks twisted. The club was going to appeal, but we missed the time period. We are hosting a girl from Philadelphia tomorrow, taking her to airport on Saturday morning. Will be interesting. - First Couch surfing experience.. . Well until next time.. When we do something interesting, I will update this.. But for now, we will be painting, and other odd jobs. Nanti.

No comments:

Post a Comment