Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sailing in Holland and the town Sneek.

It turned out that Eelco has the internet. So I will update my blog before we head off to Slovenia.
Our road trip was much faster then I thought it would have been. Only 3 hours drive, we were expecting more, but there will be plenty of opportunities to drive later.

We arrived to a town called Jutyip (I think) near sneek, and met Eelco, who is an acupuncturist who works out of his own house, he has been so nice to us so far, and I will begin at the start of the time we met him at his house.

The first day we got to meet him he showed us around his lovely home - it was an old church converted to a house that sits on the edge of a canal. The backyard view is amazing - see picture. We went to a town called Heeg where they had - by chance again another festival. So music and alot of dancing and some magic shows, and some more music and we missed tea we were so happy chatting to people, - here is a picture of the town, and another picture of Mark trying to get into a ball on water, the only other people using this ball were kids that were under 12 years old, it was very amusing!!





Anyway - I can't get the stupid blog to align the photos properly, so I will continue. We got home very late. The next day we took a walk with the horse dog - Yip, and walked around the beautiful canals and fields that were at the back of his house, about 3 hours walking, and we came back and chatted and shared stories with Eelco, we booked a restaurant and rode some bikes that Eelco had borrowed from his neighbours for us. Riding down the road towards the town of sneek, it was so cool, here we were with someone that had been so nice to us, taking us to a place for dinner, sharing stories - and all from a couchsurfing wesite - It has been amazing so far. We had a good night, had some very nice dessert, which is probably adding to my overseas theory of - "It's doesn't matter I'm on holidays - so I will eat it, drink it and indulge.
Slightly Guilty....

We came home much earlier, - met a guy from wagga wagga who had moved to the netherlands last night - wow he had an accent.
Riding home in the dark was also quite fun. We didn't turn our lights on cause the generator is so much harder to push - "lets chance it with no lights" and so we got home fine. The next day was sailing day I got up early and went for a run for 30 minutes, took the horse dog who was reluctant to leave the house without his owner, but I did find while I am eating alot,(read between the lines Cuth) I have managed to keep a reasonable level of fitness.  - I don't have picture from sailing as they were all on tark's camera but it was an incident packed day from our boat crashing into another one and there being an argument between a german and our skipper to having a dinner with all of eelco's friends and cooking burgers and mushrooms with butter and herbs to italian food to dutch food and bread and everything. It was such a nice evening, a perfect evening - quote eelco - good food, good drinks, good company, people working together to have a good time... I have been so lucky I feel to have been able to have this experience.

This is the dinner that we ate at, was such a nice evening.

So now we are sadly saying goodbye to freisland, (spelt wrong I'm sure) and we are now embarking on our trip to Slovenia. A night drive to get there tomorrow about lunchtime we hope. Sleeping in the car and changing shifts. We will see what awaits us in the first country of eastern europe.




 Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment