Sunday, October 30, 2011

Glenariff park, Soccer and a night of boxing



In the morning we had a 7.15am wake up time to leave to go to Glenariff National park, which is a park near the east cost just south of waterfoot. A really beautiful place, with a 7km walk that follows the river along with a series of cool waterfalls. We were lucky there because the trees were dropping their leaves and the leaves displaying their classic autumn colours. Andrew slept in the car cause he was too tired to get out and walk.. I just don't understand why he keeps staying in the car. But - not my problem really. The was one of the better walks that we have been on, although we were pretty stuffed when we got back to the top. We then went the caves in cushandun (they have small unimpressive sea caves on the beach) and then onto Tor head via the small coastal road with amazing views of the coast (with not as many hedgerows as normal so we could see things more) Tor head was pretty remote, an old burnt out house with good views over to Scotland and along the coast - boy it was windy up there.

We then headed back to play soccer (well I did)- I played for draperstown - my couch surfing host John's team. I played fullback (or center half it is called in football/center back) with a few other boys that hadn't played much, which made it very hard going early on. The team we were playing was much better than us, and in the first 20 minutes we were down 4-0. We went on to lose 7-1... in a muddy but fun display of football. I would have posted some pictures, but the boys forgot to take them... grrrrrrrr.

Oh well, we then were going to a charity boxing match in another town over - so I drove over the mountains down the small lanes in the rain to this boxing match (it was a selection of just ordinary people that were boxing to raise money) One of John's friends was fighting there, so we watched him and left. It was interesting to see people who were not very good at boxing try it out. Having only watched boxing on tv. I guess it is just like watching anyone at a sport that they have no idea about.

We then went out to a live music venue after we got home - but it was terrible music (too loud and I didn't enjoy it, so I went back to the house to go to bed). It was a long day and I was stuffed.


Today we went to see a hurling game - will comment on it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment